Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pre-Mother's Day Saturday

This morning was the Mother-Daughter tea at Lighthouse that I was signed up to help out with. We put all the food together on plates and then served all the ladies during the program. We also kept them well-stocked with beverages of their choice. As a nice fringe-benefit there was a ton of food left over so I had a good brunch myself while I was there! I also got to call home for about 40 minutes while one of the ladys spoke. Then we helped clean everything up and get the area set up as a cafeteria again.

On my way home, though, I thought I recognized the 15pac van pulled over right outside the gate to the base, and sure enough it belonged to the Heatons, a family from the church. They have 7 kids (hence the 15pac van) and they were stuck there on the side of the road! So I pulled over to see if I could help. Eric was there as well, as his wife had called him when the van died. He thought the fuel gauge must be broken, and it must be out of gas. So between my car and his we got his wife and kids back home (they live just down the road from me in this base neighborhood) and picked up my gas canister to get a gallon for the van. We put the gas in, and sure enough it started right up! So I followed him to the gas station on base to make sure he made it. The Lord worked the timing on that situation just perfectly! He made sure she died in just the right place, too, 'cause there are long stretches of road that would have been difficult to pull over safely on. Anyways, Eric mentioned that he is planning on taking his sons fishing in a few weeks, and asked if I'd be interested in coming along. Of course, I told him I know little to nothing about fishing with any semblence of skill, but I always enjoy relaxing next to a body of water in the shade! So he's going to get back to me on that one, it sounds like fun.

This afternoon I'm going to put in a couple more hours of study for Monday's test. I was going to wash my car too, but a big storm is headed this way. I might still wash my motorcycle since it's under an awning. I need to get the 2-inch think layer of dollar-sized bugs off of the front! This evening I'm also getting a group together from the class to go see the current hit-movie Ironman! Should be a good time!

No comments: