Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 0

Tomorrow is Day 1 of Phase II! These past 6 weeks have just flown by already, and it's about to get even more busy! We met our Flight Commander for the first time today and he gave us an expectations briefing in the flight room; which will be our room for the next 5 months of training. Tomorrow we are officially in the 37th FTS (Flying Training Squadron), the Bengal Tigers, and we got the patch today:












My flight is the Thunderbolts or T-Bolt flight, and includes 13 of us out of the 25 in our class. It seems from talking to others and from the briefing today, our commander is one of the 'tougher' ones of the 37th. But, from what he said today his expectations are clear and reasonable, and he just expects the best from us. As long as we work well together as a flight and take the initiative and know our stuff, we should stay on his good side. No problem.

This evening was great, I got a home-cooked dinner! Brother Jonny and his wife had me over for porkchops before church. They had told me Sunday to expect to eat with them this Wednesday, but I didn't get a call from him until about 445 today, and I was still in the squadron meeting. So I got back and called him up, and basically had to cancel since my car is still in the shop, and it was pouring down rain so I didn't want to take the bike. He offered to pick me up, but we both thought the meal was ready to go so we planned to just do it next week. Then he called me up and said it would come out of the oven a little later anyways, and long story short he picked me up and then of course got me to church and back. It worked out well! I enjoyed chatting with both of them, and of course the food was great too! She's another graduate from PCC, which is pretty cool since Cindy just graduated from there. Then, Jonny invited me to join them for the teen service which they have every other week on Wednesday nights, and I of course took him up on it.

It was nice to be a part of that, and he even mentioned me sharing my testimony and bringing a lesson or something sometime as well. I told them anytime I could help out with a service or activity, I'd be more than happy to! I love working with teens, they're always blast, and there's never a dull moment! Like going to the WILDS this past summer as a sponsor, that was a great time!

So, tomorrow is Day 1, and one of our first full days on the flight line. I'm excited! Our commander told us today, to just realize from the get-go that it's not going to be a lot of fun, and we are all going to have bad days, just don't have a bad week. I've pretty much put myself into that mindset already. Every day is going to be really long, and chocked full of 'learning'. I'm going to mess things up, I won't be perfect, and yes I will be corrected! So, now that I've got that out the way, I'm going to try and enjoy whatever I can! And this budding aviator is off to bed.

2 comments:

Lone Star Purrs said...

Good luck today!!! I'll be saying an extra prayer for you. Keep us posted and give us a call when you can.
love ya!
~B

Dan Quinlan said...

Thanks so much! It was a pretty good first day! Oh, and you'll have to tell Allan mission accomplished on 'training' my cat. He now stalks and pounces on the dog...crazy Chaos!