Thursday, April 17, 2008

Wednesday and Thursday

Wednesday was a pretty packed day. We had CAI lessons all morning followed by a lunch at the Club where all the wing leadership ate with us and then had some time to talk to us about various topics relating to Columbus AFB. The food was really good, but you can never quite enjoy it fully if you are sitting next to someone with a bird on their shoulder. It's not like it's their fault, I just always feel like I have to mind my manners the whole time and I don't enjoy eating quite as much in that atmosphere.

In the afternoon we had 3 hours of review of all the systems covered up to that point. Then, I got home, did some exercises, showered, and left for church. After getting back and throwing a sweet potatoe in the oven, Ryan and I went next door to our neighbors' place (who are also in our class: Rob and Keith), and we studied together for a good while before coming back and going to sleep.

Also recieved some disturbing news last night: my PapPap passed away yesterday evening while I was in church. Please be praying for my family during this hard time. It's always difficult losing someone you care about.

This morning I was up early to get over to the Sim building by 0640 for an instrument sim. It was really nice to be able to finally sit in a cockpit and touch all the instruments that we've been seeing on paper for the last 3 days but have had nothing solid to reference. We've had a ton of information thrown at us at once, but surprisingly I've retained a good portion of that and everything has actually made sense so far.

Our group then studied some more this afternoon after getting back from the sims; and we took our test starting at 1400! I spend a good 45 minutes or more on the test as I looked over every question at least 3 times. A few of them definately had me pretty confused and unsure of the right answer. Finally, though, I held my breath and submitted it, and praise the Lord I only missed 2, giving me a 95.7%! Not quite as good as a 100, but I'll take it!

This afternoon I finally got a chance to take my motorcycle over to the auto hobby shop. I tried working on the chain the other day buy I didn't have the right sized wrenches for it. Luckily today I got that accomplished and was able to get that chain tightened up like it needed to be!

Then this evening we had a dinner at a nice place downtown called the Back Door. Many prominent folks from Columbus including the Police Chief were there, and we got to meet our 'Pilot Partners' which are a bank downtown and 'Links', a developement company here. They pretty much are like sponsors for us as our class goes through pilot training. I'm not sure what all that will entail in the future, but we got some nice free food out of it tonight! Seriously though, it seems like a good program to try and connect to the town of Columbus.

Tomorrow morning was supposed to be our PT test, but guess what, it was canceled! Evidently the guy who normally gives them is gone; which is really funny! I know the guy since he gave me my PT test just a couple of weeks ago, and I talked to him last week about whether or not he was doing the one for our class. He told me he was actually going out of town and wouldn't be here, so they'd need to find a replacement. Guess that never quite made it up to whoever is organizing our testing then! Haha, oh well. It'll be nice to have a little longer to prep for this one. I know I can pass it no problem, I just want to be able to do my best on it.

This weekend on Saturday night a bunch of us from the class are heading out to watch a Mississippi Mudcats game: they are the local minor league arena football team. Should be a lot of fun! Arena football is fun from what I've seen on tv, and we should have a great time; I think we're even going to tailgate and all. Heheh, minor league arena football, who would've thunk?

1 comment:

Lone Star Purrs said...

I'm sorry to hear about your PapPap. Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers.
~Becky & Allan