Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chamber pics and Today's Activities

First, here are some pictures from the altitude chamber yesterday. The first one is just of me chilling out during the 30 minutes of de-nitrogen time at the beggining of the chamber where breath 100% oxygen to clear as much nitgrogen from the body as possible.

This picture was taken at something like 20,000 ft pressure altitude where we go off of oxygen and try to fill out a simple sheet with different questions. The point is for us to begin to get hypoxic so we can recognize our symptoms in case it ever occurs in the air craft. It also gives confidence in the equipment since you are ok pretty quick after putting the mask back on and getting back on the oxygen. When I begin to get hypoxic I feel tingly and numb, things slow down and it's hard to think.


This is a shot of one side of the chamber while my group was in there.


Also, praise the Lord, I got a 100% on my physiology test yesterday. It was a pretty easy one as our class average was a 98%, but I'll take all the 'points' I can get!


We had a shorter day today going over all the local area survival lessons. Tomorrow we have the test but doesn't seem like it'll be too hard. I've put in a little over an hour of study so far and I think I have everything down now. Also, we have the distinct privilege now of wearing blues all day unless we specifically have to wear the flight suit for training, and then we have to change back. There are a few small details that our class has messed up recently so this is our punishment until we earn the flight suits back. If you ask me, it's no big deal at all. It's just a hazing time and it's nothing I have any control over so I'm not going to let that kind of thing bother me. There will be plenty of other things that I will have some control over that I can put my energies toward worrying about.


My room mate, Ryan and I and another friend Lionel had an fun couple of hours this afternoon. The weather turned nice after we got out of class so we took the motorcycles out for a spin on a nice back-woods type highway Ryan and I found the other day. We took it all the way to the Alabama line and then turned around a few hours later. It was a great ride, good weather, and the countryside is nice right now with spring in full force. However, it then got interesting as I may or not have gotten pulled over by a state trooper on the way back...Thankfully though he just talked to me for a minute and then told me to keep the speed down on the road. So we then kept on going at exactly the speed limit the rest of the way home, I was not going to push my luck after that!


Oh, and more good news: I've finally got my car put back together! I have all the wires neatly tucked into the floor panels even now, and the amp and base are working nicely! Though, just to make it an appropriate ending, I did manage to blow the fuse on the power line when I accidently touched the ground and power cables while moving the amp (oops!). Evidently electricity just doesn't react very well to that (who would of thought) and I hadn't disconnected the negative terminal on the battery as I thought I was done with any wiring (oops again). But, the good news is that it's finally finished up! However, I didn't have a chance to clean out all the tools before we left on our ride so it's still a mess, but that will be a quick fix tomorrow. What a project, though! I thought it would only take a couple of hours and I probably ended up putting at least 10 hours or more into it! It was a good experience though, my first time messing with anything like that.


Please be in prayer for my PaPap. He's in the hospital right now. Also, Mom and Dad and I think Auntie are traveling down to Georgia tomorrow through Monday to see him. I'm praying they have a safe trip down there.


Well, I need to shower and hit the hay. We have to be in by 0530 tomorrow morning and we also the FACT and our Survival Test tomorrow so I need all the sleep I can get! I'm definately thinking tomorrow is going to be a 'Monster' day!

No comments: