Saturday, April 5, 2008

Car fun

Woke up late this morning after staying up later last night doing some reading. Before 1 I started working on my car and finished up around 1830 or so, and it's still not done! I'm trying to put in the sound system that I had in my jeep, which involves in a new controller, an amp, a 6-disk changer, and a 12" sub. So, I had to take the entire dash apart to get at the stereo and pull that out. Then, before I could put in the new I had to rewire everything to work from the car to the new stereo which I was actually quite proud of myself for accomplishing considering I've never done anything like this before and had no directions. However, it was a lengthy process as I had to work from my old connection to the Jeep and basically transcribe that one wire at a time to the connector for the Elantra.

Then, I had to wire everything from the cd changer and amp to the stereo controller. For the longest time I couldn't find any way to get the power for the amp into the engine compartment so I could attach it to the battery, but finally found a way through a gap near the door...not the most optimal arrangement but it should work. Then, I plugged everything and turned on the car to test it, and it doesn't work! The stereo gets power, and it will play tapes, but the radio doesn't work. Come to find out it's a different connection and looks like I'll need an adapter. Also, the CD function is giving me an error and I'm going to have to try to solve that as well. By this point it was 630 and Ryan had been waiting on me to go get some food so I finally just threw everything into the car and locked it. So, my dashboard is in pieces, there a million different colored wires all the place, and tools and equipment everywhere inside the car including different stashes of the screws I removed so I can remember where they go again.

What a mess! Looks like I'll be taking the motorcycle to get to church tomorrow! I really thought this whole project would take me 2-3 hours tops, but it's been almost 6 hours and will probably take me another couple of hours to get everything fixed up right! I still need to study for Monday's classroom material as well, so I don't know when I'm going to finish up the car, but I'll find some time before next weekend, I hope! Because I'm needing to change my brakes before too long now and I was wanting to do that next Saturday.

This evening we tried a new Mexican restaurant, and then Ryan has tried calling around to get some guys together to go to town but can't get ahold of anyone. We'll see if we actually do anything, but for now I'm going to start reading Monday's material.

No comments: