Monday, July 28, 2008

Formation 1

Wow, what an action-packed day I had today!! I have a headache...woke up with one too...and I've had a itch in the back of my throat for a couple of days now that I'm praying doesn't develope into anything more insidious. Anyways, we had our formation test first thing this morning and I only missed 1 question, so I was pretty happy with that. Then I went to a formation sim after that (the one and only form sim!). That was a pretty crazy sim and there were some hairy moments where I got really close to the other guy, but I never hit him or anything and the instructor said I did pretty well. Then I got back to the flight room to prep for an instrument flight; and once there I found out that all the others who had taken that sim had hit the other aircraft multiple times, and the guy flying with me today hit him 3 times! So I was like, are you kidding, and you want to fly on my wing after that?!? :) But the flight went really well, and it was a GREAT time! My IP said I was well above average for this ride, which is always a good way to start, and more importantly, nobody hit each other! My pattern work was pretty rusty, though, as I haven't flow one in a couple weeks since we've been doing instruments, so I'm going to have to improve on all of that again, but I know we'll knock the rust off pretty quick.

Got some tough news from Ryan tonight. He failed the test this morning and that was kind of the final sign for him. He'd been to the flight docs about his flying anxiety a few weeks ago, and they were ready to take him out of the program right there, but he pushed through another couple of weeks just to see if it might get better. But he's just not liking the flying at all, and I know he's making the best choice, though it is hard, to move on something else that he'll actually enjoy. So I'm proud of him for sticking it through this far, I've seen him wrestle his way through everything since the very beginning, and it's just not gotten any better. So, what that means for me is that I've got to start putting out feelers for another room mate! And I may actually have to buy some living room furniture...salvation army here I come!

3 more days until Mom and Dad get here! I'm needing to call the inn tomorrow to see if they'll have room, but something like 160 Lt's are coming in sometime this week, so there may be slim pickings over there...that just means they'll stay here on an inflatable bed. Can't wait to see them again!

4 comments:

(in)Sain Adventures said...

That's too bad about Ryan. At least it sounds like he gave his best shot. Allan did end up flying today after all. Imagine my surprise when he showed up at home around 6:45 and I wasn't expecting him until 10ish! They have a 0640 show tomorrow so....home early the night before. he has his I-test this week.

Congrats on the safe flight. Always good to hear. ;-)
~B

Dan Quinlan said...

Hey, congrats to Allan on his first 'real' flight. :) Yeah, you'll find that his schedule will be REALLY crazy; and while I thought it would get better off of formal release...it doesn't necesarilly. I've been there just as long every day so far just because of the scheduling. But, it will pay off eventually...:) Anyways, expect the unexpected for sure for about the next year or so... ;)

The Updikes said...

Hey Dan! We've joined the blogging world! Trent & I now have a blog at: megandtrent.blogspot.com

I'm still figuring out how to use blogspot but I'll try to keep it up to date. Just thought I'd let you know!

Have fun with your folks! :)

Dan Quinlan said...

Hello Updikes! Thanks for the note, I'll add your blog to my friends list and make sure check it out as you continue to update! That's the hardest part about keeping up a blog: putting aside the time to update it! But I definately think it will be great to have some memories in writing about this time of our lives!