Tuesday, September 16, 2008

T-6 Complete!

That's right, I'm done! Flew my last flight ever in the T-6 today! (unless, God forbid, I get FAIPed back here...ugh, I sure hope not!) Today was my formation check ride with Machen, and it actually went really well on my part, I thought. Machen called knock-it-off like 3 different times, once during his Extended Trail lead and twice during my ET lead. Thankfully, everything stayed safe so there was no hooking of the flight. But, it did tend to throw our groove off. I was the one to lead back, and we entered the pattern as number 11 and 12!! (12 is the max allowed in the pattern at one time). First time I tried to land, a plane was cleared out onto the runway to take off right in front of me, so I had to go around. The check IP was like 'what in the world are you doing?!?' And I was like, 'There's a plane on the runway!!' So he took the jet and tried to get a closed pull but we ended up having to go all the way around the pattern. Then the second time I perched and made my gear down call, the exact same thing happened and we had to go around again! This time we did pull closed, and I landed it after that with no problem. The debrief on GK and EP was really easy, in fact there wasn't even an EP involved, but you won't hear me complaining! Only thing I didn't like was that this guy is a hard grader. For instance, I got downgraded on 'droning' in the ET, but that's because my wing called knock-it-off twice and then took forever to get back in! And, I got downgraded for the planes coming out on the runway in front of me, how's that my fault?!? Anyways, talking to others it turns out this guys about the hardest grader in check flight, and I ended up with an 8G. So at least I passed. It looks like that's the highest grade he's given out so far too. One of our guys who checked with him before me is ranked in our top 2 or 3 flyers and he got a 12G, so I guess I can be happy with my score. Especially since I'm not trying for T-38s or anything!

Ok, now I'll back track to the weekend. Saturday turned out just awesome. I got a call from Bro. Chuck around 0830, and he was feeling a lot better and was actually going to make it! So I met him and Tyrone and Leroy (brothers) at the commissary and got everything we'd need and then we went and picked up Shaquile. Then we went to Bro Chuck's house where we picked up the rest of the crew including Sam, Christian, Dakota, and Wesley. (I know these don't mean anything to you, my reader, but I'm just really proud of myself for remember all of those names still because I only knew 1 of them before Saturday!) I took 3 of the guys in my car and Bro Chuck took the rest in his truck and we drove out to Starkville where Bro. Terry had set up his RV the night before only about a mile from the stadium. He'd also cooked up a ton of really good BBQ and hot wings. Bro. Chuck cooked up some Jambalaya (it was really good and I'm going to have to make some eventually as I had him show me how) and I cooked up a bunch of burgers on the grill. We spent the afternoon watching some other football games on the TV he had setup under the RV awning as well as playing a game of football of our own. It really was a great time. Then we went over to the stadium before the game to try to get some tickets. It ended up being totally packed out and we were afraid for a while we weren't going to get in. So we huddled together as a group and prayed real quick that the Lord would get us in, and sure enough right after the kickoff a guy in a ground-keeper shirt came over and asked if we were looking for tickets. He didn't have any, but for $10 apiece (the exact price we were hoping for) he'd get us in in groups of 4. So he took us all in by just going around the ticket checker and I guess he just pocketed $120 on the night! So we went all the way up to the top level and stood at the balcony and watched the game. I'm so glad it worked out because for most of the kids it was their very first time to a college football game! The only downside was that the score was a measley 3 to 2 with Auburn barely beating MSU. Then we walked back to the RV and ate dinner while we waited for the crowds and traffic jams to clear a bit and then I took another group back home since they lived right outside the gate. I didn't get back in until right around midnight! So it was a really long day, but I really enjoyed spending the time out there fellowshipping. They really are a great group of people.

Sunday went really too. We had a guest speaker who lives out in Montgomery but I guess was a member here for 5 years or so and was even married in the church here. He's been called to preach but the Lord has not yet led him there yet, I guess, as he isn't yet pastoring a church or anything. But he spoke both Sunday morning and evening as pastor is on vacation; and he had some really good messages. Then it was Bro. Jonny's birthday, so his wife set up a cake and refreshments in the fellowship hall and she and the youth group turned off the lights and waited while Bro. Chuck and I chatted with him and then brought him back there. He was really surprised and I'm sure really enjoyed it!

Monday was a busy day as Machen and I double turned formation rides together prepping for the check ride today. Then, as luck would have it, the yearly major changes to our publications came out over the weekend right before my checkride! So I spent an hour and half last night just putting everything together and making all the required changes in the pubs for that. What a pain! But I guess it paid off since I didn't get any downgrades or anything on them today (if they even checked them...). Oh well, it was all worth it...I'm done!

Mom and Dad made it into LAX this afternoon. I actually called them right as they were trying to pick up their luggage. So I'm praying (and sure) they're having a really special time out there with Kenny right now.

Tomorrow we report at 8, and then I'm doing recorder from noon to 4 in the RSU. (oh, goody). Otherwise, nothing else is really on the schedule. We do each have to do 1 T-38 sim which is evidently used to compare how well people perform in the sim to how well they perform in the actual jet IF they actually get T-38s. Which basically means this sim means absolutely nothing to me! Maybe I'll see how many times I can dive the plane into the ground at above the speed of sound. Yeah, that sounds amusing! I'll probably have to do a fly-by of the tower topgun style as well! He's on my six, I can't shake him, I can't shake him! Heh, silly fighter dudes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on finishing up the T-6's!!! Love reading your blogs! Love you and are proud of you! Go ahead and show them what you CAN do on the T-38 sim!
--Mom & Dad