Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back in 09

After my long absence from the blog scene, I have returned! Things have been rather busy since my return to Columbus, but yet, haven't felt as busy as before. I think the fact that we're now off formal release has helped a lot because there is a lot less time spent sitting around doing nothing throughout the day. I still put in long days of course, but when I'm there, I'm working.

Christmas break was really great. I made it in to Richmond on Wednesday the 24th and was picked up by Cindy, Josh, and Robyn. That night after church I got the car from Coach that he let us borrow while we were back there. That was a real blessing having a vehicle and I really appreciated it! The next morning we met up with Grandma at the church parking lot and Cindy rode down with her while I drove the other car. That morning I had a scare with it because it wouldn't turn over. I thought it was the battery at first but it must have been the starter because eventually I just held the key over and it just cranked. Didn't have any problems at all after that, so not sure what that was all about. Onslow was a good time, it was great to see all the family again and be together during break. Cindy and I took care of the dinner one of the days we were there and made the chicken taco recipe from Mom I've made multiple times down here. I think everyone really liked it and we ended up with plenty of leftovers for Luke and I to raid over the next few days.

Cindy and I then drove back on Monday so I was able to make it to go shooting with the Aliff gang, Josh, and Bro. Jefff Lewis. Only my second time shooting my 1911 but I was able to get it sighted in a little better and got a good feel for where it shoots. It was also really nice having Erik and Angela around for a few overlapping days, I just never get to see them over most breaks so it really worked out well this time.

Then on new years we picked Kenny up from the airport just a little over an hour before midnight and were able to make it back to the Aliff's before the ball dropped over New York. I was really glad that he was able to make it out too, last I really got to see him was March when I left for UPT. We got to play settlers of Catan one night too, and then after Kenny got there we played a game of Axis and Allies, and Cindy even allowed herself to play with us! It was pretty hilarious game, I think me trying to teach that group such a detailed game is paramount to herding cats... but we had a good time.

I was supposed to come back here on Saturday but my flight kept getting delayed until I wasn't going to be able to make it to my connection on time and probably would have ended up stranded in Atlanta. So rather than risk that I just had them change my ticket to Sunday morning and came back then. So I got to spend another evening with everyone, but I wish I hadn't wasted about 7 hours of the day at the airport!

Last Monday was a safety day, and then Tuesday through Friday I got my 86-ride done, my first nav sim accomplished, and flew my first copilot ride as well. This week I had a second nav sim yesterday, and flew today as well. I'm scheduled to fly every day that's left this week and check on Friday, and I really hope that happens! I will be the last one in our class to check, and I am so ready to be done with transition! The nav block looks like it will be a lot more fun...


Heather said...

Glad you had a good time on Christmas break and that you were able to see your family! I am praying for you as you have a busy week. I hope that check ride does happen for you on Friday! Have a great week!

(in)Sain Adventures said...

'bout time you blogged again!!! (Look who's talkin') Sounds like you had a great Christmas break. Not as good as ours was though... ;-) Good luck with your check. Allan starts tomorrow!! Eeeck!!! After being here about a week, I can already identify the Huey by sound! I'm such a nerd. Take care.